Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The BBC still calls enforced marriage "rights for cohabiting couples"

The BBC, well Vivien Hardy partner with Boodle Hatfield solicitors to be precise, is pushing the news that there will be rights for cohabiting couples.

I've argued before that this is also enforced state marriage. But it seems I'm in a small minority here. Though Geisha seemed to get the point - see her comments at the end of that post.

I've heard that men and women have different views of cohabitation. Women feeling commitment on cohabiting, men only on marriage (but no doubt keeping that secret from their 'partner').

There's a get out clause of having a contract when you start cohabiting. So the old excuse of we don't need a piece of paper to prove our love darling will need a bit of radical reworking by the male sex.

Any ideas for what the new ploy will be ?

My suggestion is "Lets show that its not money keeping us together by signing this romantic contract darling". ( I should at this point say Man in a Shed has been married for at least 10 years - I have to check - but Yahoo Calendar reminds me of the key date that my Y chromosome refuses to allow me to memorise every year. )

One thing is for sure - lawyers will do well out of this. Maybe this is why Harriet is fast tracking this, perhaps as part of my elect me a deputy leader as I'm a woman campaign.

No comments: