Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 - not being defined by a moment

Below I've put an old house photo from my boarding school days. The two people marked in the photos have both died as a result of Osama the Butcher's war of hate.


Caz Carrington on Sept 11th, he worked at the top of one of the towers . He also appeared in a TV series on the Hampton's which from the scenes I saw showed he'd lost none of the sense of Fun he had as a boy.




Simon Cullingworth (Staff sergeant ) was murdered after his capture in war against Saddam Hussein in Iraq. He had achieved a good military record and had to have been a very brave man given his job in bomb disposal.

They both left wives and Simon left two sons. ( There is an interview with Pattie Carrington here ). She has written a book - see link.


At School they were both full of life and fun. I was in the army cadets with Simon and Caz was just everywhere doing everything - his enthusiasm and sense of fun just livened up life for everyone else.

From my viewpoint it seems wrong to define ourselves by how our lives ended, but rather how they were lived. From the reports I've seen both of the boys I went to school with had become men whom their friends were glad to have known and families were proud of.
Above - real life, lets live it and not put off things we meant to say and do !

As a Christian I hope that on that list of things to do will be thoughts about life in general and its meaning in particular.

5 comments:

Wrinkled Weasel said...

You tribute is very moving.

The Daily Pundit said...

Quite a tribute. And very poignant.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant and moving article.

(PS I did the Alpha course with my wife a few years ago. Something we both wanted to do, and I can recommend it to anyone else curious about Christianity).

Anonymous said...

Ditto, and made all the more poignant by seeing them pictured as young boys, the same age as my sons probably.

Andrew Mac said...

Quite strange finding this photo after all these years as i'm seated between Si and Caz