Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The ambush of the 1922 committee by Cameron is his first bad mistake

Everyone who makes decisions and provides leadership, makes mistakes.

And David Cameron has just made his first large one, trying to destroy the 1922 committee on backbench Conservative MPs with his wrecking amendment.

There is already bad feeling in the party about some of the compromises necessary to build a coalition with the Lib Dems, but most of us understand the nation is under threat of financial disaster and the National interest means compromise for strong government is needed.

But at the same time that Lib Dem MPs and party is being courted and canvassed by its leadership David Cameron is trying to shut down descent. It won't work and it will be counter productive.

At least with the 1922 committee there is a safety valve - if its destroyed then there will be secretive factions and campaigns that the party can't reason so easily with.

Many Conservative party members will note how the Lib Dems have to be kept on side, but Conservatives told to shut up. This means serial appeasement of the Lib Dems and bad deals for Conservatives.

Pay attention Mr Cameron we won't stand for it.

Update: The results are in and the govt won, but with the payroll vote. Legal challenges are being discussed as they should not have been voting.

But whatever the result - the trust has been savagely broken and the party betrayed. Mr Cameron has just blown a very large amount of the good will and credit at his disposal.

4 comments:

JohnRS said...

The thing that everyone needs to remember is that, although he's a Conservative, CallMeDave just isn't conservative.

This evening's arrogant attack was a perfect demo of that. It was something straight out of the Mandelsnake play book.

Barking Spider said...

I knew I didn't like Cameron all along, MiaS, this latest assault on the party's traditional roots is every bit as crass as his stupid and unnecessary attack on grammar schools - I had the benefit of a grammar school education, myself, and I did not come from a privileged backgroung - I got there on my own merit by passing my 11+ exam. cameron is in the wrong party - he's a Lefty and he had better be careful, methinks, as the Tories are not generally at all like Labour cowards......

Barking Spider said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barking Spider said...

I'll get the spelling right this time.....

I knew I didn't like Cameron all along, MiaS, this latest assault on the party's traditional roots is every bit as crass as his stupid and unnecessary attack on grammar schools - I had the benefit of a grammar school education, myself, and I did not come from a privileged background - I got there on my own merit by passing my 11+ exam. Cameron is in the wrong party - he's a Lefty and he had better be careful, methinks, as the Tories are not generally at all like Labour cowards - if he carries on like this, his days are numbered.