Friday, July 20, 2007

The edge of project Cameron

With the Southall bye-election result in ( Labour retaining the seat and the Lib Dems coming second ), despite a high publicity campaign, which to distant observers like myself seemed to suggest a stronger showing than materialised, its time for a bit of a rethink from the Cameron team.

Today's Telegraph describes Gordon Brown's emerging strategy as New-Realism (its a key article I recommend you read it). There is also criticism of the tactics deployed in the Southall campaign - with too much imposition from Central office.

David Cameron is showing signs of getting just a bit tetchy with some of his MP's, especially Cornerstone ( Iain Dale/Guido would refer to them as Tombstone - due to the socially conservative traits they disagree with - but again compare to the potential success of New Realism, Cornerstone at least has a strategy that chimes with the mood of the times.)

We have reached the edge of what the re-branding effort can achieve - and David Cameron needs to understand that. We now need an effective and insightful criticism of the government that is effectively communicated to the public. Everything has been soft focus so far, now is the time to sharpen up our criticism and explain to people the damage that Gordon Brown and his devotees are doing and intend to do to our country.

We need issues such as:

    The lack of an EU referendum
    The English Question
    Simplifying taxation
    Reducing the size of the state ( the proof of the ineffectiveness of throwing cash at the NHS and police is in the news nearly every day right now. And its =not like anyone holds out any hope that government or its agencies are remotely effective or fit for purpose.)


Now of course Gordon Brown is hoping to pin the old - veering to the right tag - followed by the usual lies that Labour roll out around election times ( like the famous the Tories are going to fire every nurse and doctor - do you remember Gordon Brown standing with Tony Blair by the poster supporting that - so much for Brown's integrity ).

So lets stop repositioning and start fighting for what we believe in and for our country.

Update - this could be more serious than I thought - see here.

Update - I should add flooding as an issue. Labour have ignored the warnings this year. Just as they have ignored the warning about tidal flooding in the Thames gateway. We must not let them get away with what in the case of the Thames gateway and London will amount to murder.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the tories have left it too late. As far as the English question is concerned, Cameron even today is rabbiting on about English Laws English votes.
I think the best we can hope for to wind the English up is a hung parliament with gordon as pm and scots and welsh labour lobby fodder over ruling English mp's.

Anonymous said...

After all you have posted, are you still a closet Tory? If I were you I would apply to join the English Democrats Party, the only party with the interests of England at heart. (forget the Union it is a busted flush, we are three separate countries one of which is reluctantly hanging on to another part of another country. Get onboard, the English are slowly waking up!. Patrick Harris, Portsmouth, England

Man in a Shed said...

Patrick,

Yes I am a still a Tory (paid up member), though if I had to choose another party it would be the English Democrats. Let me explain why:

1) Gordon Brown is going to take some beating. Only the Conservative party can do that. You can read between the lines of some of my posts and see that I'm not 100% happy right now - Grammar-gate really gave me cause for concern. ( A search will produce my posts on that ).

2) Good people who's positions are close to mine stay in the party. Norman Tebbit, John Redwood, Nadine Dorries, Danniel Hannan, David Davis to mention a few - I'll add in bloggers Tony Sharpe and Iain Dale whom I read often also ( There are others who deserve mention - but these two jump out). The party may not say everything I would wish for, but these people who I admire think its worth the battle then I have to think hard. Why leave the party in the hands of the Wets and PR men ?

3) To say join the English Democrats would be to admit that a very long struggle is ahead. I would need to campaign against people I agree with to a large extent. Where I live that would help the Lib Dems - who are the almost opposite of my viewpoint on just about anything - I have more sympathy for Labour !

I would have to lose hope of any advance and changes in the Conservative party, before it made sense to leave.

But who knows - if I keep on blogging and they figure out who I am - perhaps I'll get thrown out of the party ?

Man in a Shed said...

I should add that I am a member of the Campaign for an English Parliament !